Here are the links to readings for this coming series:
In general we will meet at the SkyRoot Farm House – Wednesdays – @5:30 – for potluck followed by discussion – starting at 7. We will aim to end each evening by 8:15 but staying late for darts/b-ball is always welcome. Our first session will be Wednesday April 3rd.
Week 1 – Why Farm? What is it that has brought you into the world of growing food?
- For this week please check out this Gene Logsdon essay on Why I Farm
- And read this essay by Wendell Berry
Week 2 – Farm Planning! We’re going to dive into the world of crop rotation, farm planning, succession planting. To prepare for the evening please read CH 6 & 7 from Elliot Coleman’s The New Organic Grower
Week 3 – Working with Transplants and Soil Blocks
- This reading will help the conversation get started! Soil Blockers – an e-book!
- Coleman has a nice introduction to working with soil block transplants
Week 4 – Compost Theory and Practice
Week 5 – Soils – heck!
- Building Soils for Better Crops -read through pages 1-69 for our discussion!
Week 6 – Soils – wait – there’s more!
- Testing – Amending – Improving – readings – TBA – but check this out! if you love dirt.